Periodontics ( Speciality for gum treatments) specializes in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of gum diseases. It also includes cosmetic gum procedures.
Treatments for gum diseases includes scaling and root planing (in which the infected surface of the root is cleaned) or root surface debridement (in which damaged tissue is removed). Patients with severe gum problems are treated with a range of surgical procedures. Several procedures with Laser are also used treat gum diseases.
Periodontal disease, also known as gum disease, is caused when bacteria in plaque (a sticky, colourless film that forms in the mouth) builds up between the gums and teeth. When the bacteria begin to grow, the gums surrounding the tooth can become inflamed.
Gingivitis is the mildest form of periodontal disease. It causes the gums to become red, swollen, and bleed easily. There is usually little or no discomfort at this stage. Gingivitis is often caused by inadequate oral hygiene. Gingivitis is reversible with professional treatment and good oral home care.
If left untreated, this inflammation can cause the gums and supporting bone structure to deteriorate. This can lead to gum recession or even tooth loss.
Symptoms of Periodontitis
- Red, swollen or painful gums
- Bleeding while brushing, flossing, or when eating certain foods
- Gums that are receding or pulling away from the teeth, causing the teeth to look longer than before
- Loose or separating teeth
- Pus between your gums and teeth
- Sores in your mouth
- Persistent bad breath
- A change in the way your teeth fit together when you bite
- A change in the fit of partial dentures
Dr. Ajesh is our periodontist who is proficient in all periodontal procedures and is an expert in Laser applications in periodontics